Friday, March 2, 2012

I Believe....

So I've been thinking a lot lately about how my beliefs have shaped me and made me the person I am. Not just my religious beliefs (come on, admit it...that's what you thought of first) but the other things I believe about life. Just a little pre-warning thing...I'm the first to admit to what I believe and stand up for my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ but I'm going to share other things...just FYI.

I believe in laughter. Not just the giggly, cute laughter that girls use to catch men but a big, hearty noise that you just can't help but let escape out of your heart when you get those joy bubbles. You know what I'm talking about...when you find so much greatness in something that your heart just gets so full and happy and excited so that something must come out or you'll just burst inside! And that's where REAL laughter comes in. It's not always cute, by any means, but it is DEFINITELY beautiful.

I believe in funny faces. Your face tells the world what's going on inside of you. Admit it. It's the truth. I'm the first in line to tell people that what goes on inside of my head does not show on my face. After years of trying to tell myself that I can hide things, I've realized that what goes on in my head might not show on my face but what goes on in my heart does. Thus, the funny faces were born. They keep you sane when you have a heart that goes every which way every moment of every day.

I believe in silence. In the quiet of our minds we find what we truly desire, what our soul truly desires.

I believe in running. Not necessarily in the way to keep you all skinny and stuff but running definitely has a power to free the soul. Don't tell me that when your heart is sad and confused and weighed down that you don't want to just run through a field of nothing with your arms out just screaming at the top of your lungs. Admit it. Even as you sit here reading this you have an image in your head of what this may be like. I am here to tell you that as good as it sounds, it feels even better. Go. Do it. Report back to me.

I believe in loving. I'm the first to admit that loving people is hard. It does not come naturally to me. BUT there is nothing like making the decision to stop your hateful ways and look at everything from a "loving" mindset. It has taken me years to even begin this transformation but I'm here to tell you that it is a major ingredient to the Happiness we all want.

So these have all been kind of deep, broad things but more than anything I believe in the little things in life. Everyday I'm reminded of something that I believe. Here I'll show you....

On Monday, I believed in puddle jumping. The healing power that a nice big, cold puddle has is tremendous. I'm serious. Next time you're growing a little weary, come down to Glenwood's parking lot and get a running start into the biggest puddle of water you can find. It will be cold. You will be wet. But gosh darn it, it's too good to pass up. (Just a little memo though...I have yet to jump in a giant puddle without dirty water squirting in my eye.)

Tuesday, I believed in walking in the snow. Grab your gloves, hat, scarf, coat and just walk. Let the flakes fall on your face and stick to your nose and just breathe. You'll feel better.

Wednesday, I believed in Capri Suns and Maple Bars. There's nothing like a Capri Sun that puts you back into the mindset of being 8 and just losing your soccer game but everything is ok because you have the best treats in the world to make you feel better. Being 8 is a blast. I'd do anything to be 8 again. Ok, maybe not. According to everyone I'm a forever 5 year old so apparently I've got that down.

Thursday, I believed in ice. Like ice skating ice. But with shoes instead of skates. There is true greatness in falling on ice around friends. It sounds weird but if you were in my situation you would COMPLETELY understand. Ice, baby.

Today I believe in work. The good ol' get off your fanny when you would rather stay in bed than get up and go out into a cold, blustery day and just GO. Just go and do and get things done. So today? Right now? Go. Get up. Get moving. Start with just one thing and that one thing will lead to another. And another. And another. By the end of the day, if you're lucky, you'll fall asleep exhausted but with a smile on your face. Those are the best days.

Peace out, homeslice. Remember, what you believe can change you so don't ever take what you believe in lightly. Share it with the world not just by word but deed. Change starts with one person, one moment, one choice. Why not start now?

No comments:

Post a Comment